Bold Type Books is an award-winning publishing imprint committed to challenging power through narrative. That mission is at the heart of every book we put into the world: works of urgent and ambitious journalism, deeply researched creative nonfiction, revelatory cultural analysis and social history, and memoir at the intersection of the personal and the political.
The product of a dynamic partnership between Type Media Center and Hachette Book Group, our project has, since its inception in 2000, been a champion of emerging and historically excluded writers pushing forward vital conversations. Our authors upend dangerous and reductive myths that can seem immovable and tell stories that were previously missing or deliberately removed from our collective histories. Together we’re interested in expanding how literature can move readers to question the status quo, and we make books in which extraordinary uses of language and form and the boldest kind of cultural questioning reinforce each other—and strive toward change.
As our imprint barrels into the future, we’re searching for an acquiring editorwho will think imaginatively and expansively about our publishing program. The acquiring editor will report to our editorial director, and will be responsible for contributing to our gorgeous, groundbreaking list by acquiring three to five titles per year (and occasionally editing manuscripts acquired by the ED). In addition, the acquiring editor will manage these titles through all of the editorial and production stages, collaborating across departments and organizations. The ideal candidate will be passionate about literature’s possibilities, eager to strategize creatively, and excited about making room for visionary work in an industry that is constantly pressing authors into the same shapes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain relationships with authors and agents to acquire and develop new projects, spreading the word about our team’s vision for the imprint
- Acquire three to five books annually and cultivate a new generation of trailblazing writers
- Read and report on manuscripts, proposals, and books submitted for publication
- Edit manuscripts for structure and at the sentence level
- Actively participate in editorial meetings with Type Media Center and Hachette
- Participate in the growth and evolution of Bold Type and the community that surrounds it by representing the imprint at events and literary conferences; suggesting candidates for our new Bold Type Fellowship, awarded annually to a BTB writer; and weighing in on strategy around social media, newsletter, website, and fundraising initiatives
- Manage acquired titles through the copyediting, design, and production processes
- Serve as an advocate for books and work with contracts, publicity, design, sales, and marketing to create a cohesive publishing effort
- Prepare materials such as acquisition memos, profit and loss statements, title fact sheets, catalog and jacket copy, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Three or more years of editorial experience and a demonstrated ability to collaborate with and edit nonfiction writers well
- A demonstrated commitment to increasing diversity, equity, and access in the literary world
- Broad knowledge of, and interest in, contemporary nonfiction
- Contacts among writers, academics, journalists, and literary agents
- Ability to work cooperatively and flexibly within a team and with other groups, companies, and organizations on shared long-term projects
- Highly self-motivated, resourceful, creative, organized, and both detail- and deadline- oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in addition to solid computer skills
- Ability to deliver timely, accurate work and demonstrate good follow-up and follow-through
- Interest in community outreach
Compensation and Benefits
The starting salary for this position is $65,000–$70,000, dependent on experience. Compensation includes generous paid time off; health, dental, and life insurance, as well as long-term disability insurance; and paid parental leave. Type Media Center employees are eligible for retirement benefits after one year. This is a full-time, non-exempt, unionized position with a preferred start date in November 2021. The ideal candidate will be based in New York City, though our staff are currently working remotely.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “acquiring editor” in the subject line. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Type Media Center is a non-profit home for independent journalists and authors. Our mission is to produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements, and sparks national and global conversations while transforming and diversifying the fields of journalism and publishing.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to a diverse workplace and do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any othercharacteristics protected by applicable law.