Type Media Center is seeking a highly-motivated Bookkeeper & Office Manager.
The Office Manager and Bookkeeper will coordinate office operations and staff activities. They will be responsible for streamlining and organizing administrative operations, technology firm relationship management and troubleshooting, in-house technology support, vendor management, and human resources support. They will serve as receptionist; manage the general inquiry phone line; and will be the point person for maintenance, mailing, supplies, equipment. As Bookkeeper, they will manage the day-to-day accounting functions and proper keeping of financial records.
The ideal candidate will be flexible, well-organized, and enthusiastic about the administrative challenges of supporting a staff with a ranging set of needs.
As Office Manager:
• Oversee and perform administrative operations for the organization, sub-tenant and office space
• Serve as receptionist and facilities manager
• Provide program support as needed
• Manage contracting and payments for fellows and reporters
• Assist with human resources management duties including on- and off-boarding employees and benefit package administration
• Assist IT firm with in-house technology and security management including daily troubleshooting and vendor coordination
• This position requires occasionally lifting office products and supplies
• Expertise of nonprofit accounting and Quickbooks, processing invoices, posting payments, as well as managing payroll
• Day to day accounting functions and proper keeping of financial records
• Assist with month end close as well as preparing for the audit
• Review receipts for credit card expenditures and reconcile discrepancies
• Minimum of 2 years experience of professional bookkeeping and some operations experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment
• Proven office management, administrative or assistant experience
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Keen attention to detail
• General technology knowledge and troubleshooting experience
• Extensive experience using Quickbooks
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office and GSuite
• Knowledge of content management systems (WordPress and Dreamweaver preferred), email marketing systems (e.g., MailChimp), and social media tools a plus
• Understanding of the media landscape, current events, and growing non-profit journalism sector a plus
This is a union position under a collective bargaining agreement with CWA Local 1180.
Comprehensive benefits package including excellent healthcare, vision, and dental coverage; 403b plan; generous paid time-off; voluntary benefits such as FSA, HRA, commuter benefits, life, and disability insurance, and more.
The Office Manager and Bookkeeper will report to the Executive Director and the Chief Financial Officer.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Type Media Center is committed to a diverse workplace and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Bookkeeper & Office Manager ” in the subject line. Deadline for application is May 31st .
About Type Media Center:
Founded in 1966 (as The Nation Institute), Type Media Center is home to a half-dozen programs and a community of hundreds of journalists, authors, and writing fellows. Our dynamic range of programs includes a bestselling book publishing imprint, Bold Type Books (formerly known as Nation Books); our award-winning Type Investigations (formerly known as the Investigative Fund), which supports groundbreaking investigative journalism; TomDispatch, the widely read and syndicated website; Fellowships that fund over 20 high-profile reporters every year; Prize programs that spotlight the invaluable achievements of others; and high-profile events that provide a platform for journalists, thinkers, and activists to discuss the urgent and important issues of our time.