Type Media Center is seeking a highly-motivated Director of Strategy and Communications.
• Direct the organization’s communications and public engagement strategy; oversee the use of the organization’s brand and messaging
• Lead the organization’s and its projects’ new branding with the goal of building name recognition, audience, and donors
• Manage press inquiries and outreach
• Collaborate with senior leadership to develop strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact
• Work with the Executive Director and project directors to identify new editorial and outreach opportunities for the organization
• Develop, direct, and execute all public-facing materials for the organization, including: website and social media content, printed materials, digital communications, fundraising appeals, annual reports, and more
• Draft and edit grant reports and proposals; prepare written materials for funder meetings
• Produce speaking programs at the organization’s annual benefit and other public events
• Provide talking points to staff and board for events, media appearances, and funder meetings
• Publicize the work of the organization through the targeting of strategic external audiences, including the media, advocacy communities, and key influencers
• Supervise employees responsible for outreach, events development, and digital communications
• 5+ years’ experience in communications, journalism, policy, or advocacy work
• Exceptional writing ability
• Grant writing experience preferred
• Keen understanding of the media landscape, political movements, and growing non-profit journalism sector
• Detail-oriented and highly organized
• Social media management experience
• Capable leader and manager
• Ability to prioritize and execute ambitious projects from conception to completion
• An avid reader of news and current events
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office, GSuite, content management systems (WordPress and Dreamweaver preferred), email marketing systems (e.g., MailChimp), and social media tools
This is a union position under a collective bargaining agreement with CWA Local 1180.
Excellent benefits. The Director of Strategy and Communications will report to the Executive Director.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Type Media Center is committed to a diverse workplace and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Strategy & Communications” in the subject line.
About Type Media Center:
Founded in 1966 (as The Nation Institute), Type Media Center is home to a half-dozen programs and a community of hundreds of journalists, authors, and writing fellows. Our dynamic range of programs includes a bestselling book publishing imprint, Bold Type Books (formerly known as Nation Books); our award-winning Type Investigations (formerly known as the Investigative Fund), which supports groundbreaking investigative journalism; TomDispatch, the widely read and syndicated website; Fellowships that fund over 20 high-profile reporters every year; Prize programs that spotlight the invaluable achievements of others; and high-profile events that provide a platform for journalists, thinkers, and activists to discuss the urgent and important issues of our time.