Type Investigations is a nonprofit newsroom for independent journalists, dedicated to incubating investigative reporting with the potential for social impact. Our investigations are published or broadcast in partnership with a wide variety of print, broadcast, and online outlets, including The New York Times, The Intercept, Mother Jones, Politico, Frontline, and Reveal. Our stories have sparked FBI investigations, congressional inquiries, federal indictments, the resignation of public officials, and more; they have also won many of journalism’s top awards, including the Emmy, the Peabody, the Polk Award, the National Magazine Award, and the Investigative Reporters & Editors Medal.
Type Investigations is a project of Type Media Center, a nonprofit that is also home to a bestselling book publishing imprint, Bold Type Books; the widely syndicated website TomDispatch; and a fellowship program that supports dozens of reporters every year.
The Senior Editor will have both editorial and project management duties, including:
- Commissioning, editing, and overseeing high-stakes investigative stories
- Recruiting new writers with an eye toward increasing diversity in the industry and supporting emerging journalists
- Placing stories with partners and helping to expand our pool of partner newsrooms
- Managing the work of 2-3 Type Investigations fellows, who each produce roughly 3-5 stories per year
- Helping to raise our public profile as a home and training center for independent journalists
- Providing editorial input into proposal writing and grant reporting as needed
- Sharing responsibility with the Executive Editor for newsroom management, including team meetings, story meetings, performance reviews, etc.
- Helping to shape editorial strategy and long-term organizational priorities
The ideal candidate will have strong reporting, writing, editing, and organizational skills; supervisory experience; impeccable editorial judgment; and sophistication about the journalism field. Significant experience editing and vetting complex feature-length work required; experience reporting or editing investigative journalism preferred.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Senior Editor” in the subject line.
This is a union position under a collective bargaining agreement with CWA Local 1180. Comprehensive benefits package including healthcare, vision, and dental coverage; 403b plan; paid time-off; voluntary benefits such as FSA, HRA, life, and disability insurance, and more.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Type Media Center is committed to a diverse workplace and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.